Rates for Individual Sessions and Couples Counseling
- 60 Minute Psychotherapy Session – $130.00
- 90 Minute Intake Session – $175.00
Couples and Marriage Counseling
- 60 Minute Couples Session – $150.00
- 90 Minute Couples Intake Session – $195.00
McNulty Counseling clinicians are Out-of-Network
We are a self-submitting private practice and unfortunately, we do not deal directly with insurance. However, many of our clients are reimbursed directly from their insurance company (some clients report reimbursement rates between 50%-90%). We provide you with a monthly Superbill (Statement for Insurance Reimbursement) that contains your procedure and diagnostic code along with all the information the insurance company will need to reimburse you for the maximum amount of each session. If you have any reimbursement questions, we recommend that you contact your insurance company first as they can best answer your concerns regarding coverage. Common insurance companies that our clientele have reported reimbursing for their sessions:
- Blue Cross Blue Shield
We DO accept FHA and FSA payments!
Helpful questions to ask your insurance company:
- Do I have mental health coverage?
- What percentage of my bill will be covered for services obtained by an out-of-network provider?
- How many sessions will be covered per the calendar year?
- What is my deductible and has it been met?
- Do I need to meet with a clinician with specified credentials?
- What percentage of my out of network mental health services will be covered if I submit a Superbill? Is there anything else I will need to submit with the Superbill?
- How do I get reimbursed for out of network mental health services? How often should I submit a Superbill, what is the process for submitting that and how long will it take for me to be reimbursed?
We encourage that all of our clients choosing to go this route ensure that you get the insurance representatives first and last name as well as a confirmation number. It’s been our experience that some representatives will tell you our clients one thing, tell us another, and this creates a very uncomfortable situation as a therapist so we did away with insurance altogether. We want our main focus to be helping you and you only!
With us, you control your confidentiality and whether your information is released to your insurance. Insurance providers require a diagnosis for payment and keep records of treatment, which may not be beneficial to some of our clients based on their profession or other factors.
Why we don’t accept insurance:
Since our counseling center was founded we have never accepted insurance due to our promise to keep your information 100% confidential. The Department of Health and Human Services reported over 20,000 HIPAA violations last year with many of them being by the provider, the insurance company, or the third-party who is handling the information.
- Like a game of telephone, the more transactions that occur with your information, the higher the likelihood of it getting into the wrong hands (or eyes). When you meet with a therapist at McNulty Counseling & Wellness, they will be the only person who has access to your private information.
- Insurance companies require a diagnosis by the clinician in order for them to cover your appointment cost. Even if you or your child may not require a diagnosis, they still require us to diagnose. This diagnosis can go on your permanent medical record which can hinder your chances of receiving a job in the government, becoming a pilot, receiving certain benefits by an employer, etc. Sound crazy?! IT IS! You should be able to receive counseling without being labeled.
- Your time in therapy with your therapist is extremely valuable and we want to spend that time with you! Not talking to an insurance company. The paperwork that is required by us to submit for billing can take hours if not days in some cases. Our passion is NOT chasing insurance companies for payment or ensuring that we’re disclosing the proper, numerous pages of your personal information. Our passion is one thing and one thing only, helping you to get better!
- Insurance companies decide the length of your treatment, not the qualified professionals who are treating you. Private pay allows flexibility in our sessions without having to stress about the duration and the frequency, which allows US to decide the appropriate treatment that best suits your needs as an individual. We do not pigeon-hole you into a diagnosis and try and treat you in “X” amount of sessions that they deem fit for your situation.
The time that you have scheduled with your therapist is reserved for you and for you only. It is imperative that if you’re unable to attend a session, that you notify your clinician or the office 24 hours beforehand. If we have not received any notice, you will be charged the full session of your appointment in its entirety.
We understand that life comes at us fast. A canceled appointment hurts three people: you, your therapist, and another client who could have potentially used your time slot. When a session is canceled without enough notice, we are unable to fill the time slot by offering it to another client. If you need to cancel or reschedule, we will gladly accommodate your situation as long as we have the 24 hours notice.
Understand that we HATE enforcing the cancellation policy. It is a very uncomfortable position be in but it is one that we have to uphold so please let us know ahead of time if you need to cancel.
What forms of payments do you accept?
We accept all major credit cards, checks, cash, as well as FHA and FSA cards.
If you have any questions please contact our office, 727-344-9867.